Mediterranean Cabbage Soup
- June 15, 2021
Mediterranean Cabbage Soup Trusted Brands
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup sliced fennel, fronds reserved for garnish
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
- 1 small head green cabbage (1 1/2 lbs.), chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can unsalted cannellini beans, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- Lemon zest for garnish
- Step 1
Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add carrots, fennel and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, coriander and salt; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Add cabbage; reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Step 2
Stir in beans, sugar and oregano; cook until the beans are heated through, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon zest and reserved fennel fronds, if desired; serve immediately.
Serving Size: 2 cups
205 calories; protein 6.2g; carbohydrates 31g; dietary fiber 9.6g; sugars 14.5g; fat 5.5g; saturated fat 0.7g; vitamin a iu 4117.3IU; vitamin c 103.1mg; folate 10.5mcg; calcium 153.5mg; iron 2.6mg; magnesium 36.5mg; potassium 669.8mg; sodium 426.5mg; thiamin 0.4mg; added sugar 1g.
3 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 lean protein, 1/2 starch