A Mediterranean diet for resilience and immunity during COVID-19
- August 18, 2020
View original here on Youtube
GUIDELINES FOR FOLLOWING A MEDITERRANEAN DIET
1. 5 servings of fruits, vegetables, beans, or whole grains daily (organic produce whenever possible).
2. Cupped handful of mixed nuts and seeds 5 days per week, preferably with breakfast (mixed nuts should include Almonds, Walnuts, and Brazil nuts) [Plain nuts and seeds to include (almonds, walnuts, Brazil nuts, cashews, pistachios, hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, watermelon seeds).
3. 1-3 tablespoons of certified pure extra-virgin olive oil daily, preferably in the morning with breakfast. Use also as dressing for salads and vegetables, and for hunger cravings instead of snack food such as chips, fries, pastries. (Suggest Colavita® Certified Authentic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, with CERMET seal — grown and bottled exclusively in Italy).
4. Several servings of fermented food (unpasteurized sauerkraut, natto [fermented soy]) and cultured foods (plain Greek yogurt) per week.
5. Fish 2+ times per week (Pacific/Alaskan salmon, mackerel, herring, lake trout, sardines). Grill, bake or broil to prepare and avoid breaded or fried fish. Low intake of poultry. Red meat no more than twice per month.
6. Low intake of dairy products (limit to skim milk, cottage cheese, unsweetened Greek yogurt), avoid hard cheese.
7. Only whole-grain bread (suggest Ezekiel 4:9 bread, available at grocery stores such as Albertsons and Trader Joe’s).
8. Snack on fruit, dried fruit & unsalted nuts (not cakes or biscuits).
9. Avoid highly processed ‘fast foods’ and ‘ready meals’.
10. Drink filtered water (no pop, carbonated beverages, fruit juice, or distilled water). Suggest not to drink alcohol. Any alcohol consumption should be in moderation (4 drinks per week for men, 2 drinks per week for women), and only red wine.
BREAKFAST: Two tall glasses of filtered water first thing in the morning. After the first glass, eat a cupped handful of mixed nuts and seeds and swallow 1-3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil. Wash this down with the second glass of water. Next have fruit (suggest blueberries, raspberries) and whole grain cereal (cold, or hot multigrain / oats). Eat with a scoop of unsweetened Greek yogurt, and with almond, cashew, or coconut milk.
LUNCH / DINNER: More fresh fruit and vegetables as described. Suggest extra virgin olive oil as a dressing, hummus dip, or serving of cottage cheese. Fish, chicken, and meat as described.
SNACKS: More mixed raw nuts to stop any hunger cravings during the day (nuts give rapid and lasting satiety).
EVENING: No food or wine after 6 pm.
HIGH QUALITY EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL:
One of the great challenges of adopting a Mediterranean diet is choosing a high quality extra virgin olive oil. We recommend extra virgin olive oil by Colavita, having the CERMET seal – which guarantees the product is 100% grown, processed, and bottled in Italy.
Link to order Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil with Cermet seal:
Information contained in this video is not intended to diagnose or treat any condition. This video is for educational purposes only and should not be used as a substitute for medical advice, nor should it be construed as a claim or individualized recommendation. The opinions expressed may not be supported by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or American Heart Association (AHA). This video does not create a doctor-patient relationship between you and Dr. James Kneller. If you have a medical problem, immediately contact your healthcare provider. Dr. James Kneller and James Kneller MD, PLLC are not responsible for any losses, damages or claims that may result from your medical decisions.